Business Process Outsourcing and off-shoring
The BPO&O phenomenon has developed into a cutting edge, knowledge driven economic sector, in which South Africa is perfectly poised to play a leading role as more and more multinationals look to enhance their strategic offerings in a lower cost environment.
Both government and the private sector look to the BPO&O industry as a source of economic and employment growth. The Business Process Outsourcing and Off-shoring industry (BPO&O) is one of South Africa’s fastest growing economic sectors. Most activity occurs within the call centre and back office processing spheres, with more than 70 service providers serving both local and offshore customers. The country offers a large and well-educated labour pool with over 300 000 new school leavers and 100 000 graduates entering the workforce annually. Tertiary institutes are world class and government support for continuous worker training and development is substantial. World-class infrastructure supports all BPO&O investment in South Africa. Excellent connectivity and a sound telecommunications environment are coupled with property and electricity prices that offer true value in an age of escalating infrastructure costs. All of this in a country that provides a lifestyle that is highly attractive to both locals and expatriates.
Multinationals with BPO & O presence in South Africa
The last few years have seen several global companies place their trust in SA’s BPO&O industry. These include (among others):
- Fujitsu Siemens
- Car Phone Warehouse
- MTN and Vodacom
- Call Centres
- Back Office Processing
- Shared Corporate Services
- Enterprise solutions in service lines such as fleet management, knowledge management and asset management
- Science Park
- IT incubation centre
Opportunities in the East London IDZ
- There are multi-national companies in telecommunication, healthcare, automotive, finance, services and energy sectors and they can be served by these call centres and they are in close proximity to EL IDZ
- EL IDZ is located in a city with a large pool of skilled trainable labour force with good quality English.
- There are also native German and other foreign language speakers around East London who could be recruited for call centres
- First class infrastructure
- Similar time zone to most of Europe
- Excellent lifestyle
- EL IDZ is located in an area with a low rate of crime compared to other major urban centre